Press release help
One of the best ways to get the word out about developments at your store is the press release. Used by businesses both big and small, the press release not only announces what’s new, but it helps solidify your standing as a legitimate business.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
1. Make sure your news is newsworthy – Will your announcement matter to your audience? It should…or you’re wasting your time and theirs.
2. Always include your contact information at the top of the release (contact name, address, phone and fax numbers, email address and Web site).
3. Write a headline that makes the audience want to continue reading.
4. Lead the first paragraph with your location and date: SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (January 1, 2012).
5. Use the first paragraphs to announce your news (who, what, when, where and why); then use the subsequent paragraphs to back up/support that announcement with quotes, statistics, etc.
6. Keep paragraphs short and to the point. Two or three sentences is plenty of text per paragraph.
7. Double space between paragraphs – don’t indent.
8. Include the important facts…leave out the flowery text.
9. Keep printed press releases to one page; keep e-releases “above the fold” (500 words or less is usually sufficient).
10. At the bottom of your release, be sure to include a general statement about your company/organization.
Take advantage of the press release today. While we don’t endorse any particular PR service, there are several services where you can submit your press release for free or a small fee. For example:
www.pr.com – “Promote everything about your business. We get the word out.”
www.prleap.com – “PR LEAP is a free press release distribution service to major search engines, web sites and newswires, since 2003.”
www.i-newswire.com – “I-Newswire.com is your free press release distribution center.”
www.24-7pressrelease.com – “24-7PressRelease.com is a free press release distribution service with the small to medium size Company in mind.”