Interestingly enough, website about us pages are in the top ten pages visited on websites. The days of doing a basic boring about us page is over. Most customers expect to find out who your are and what you stand for there. Emotional purchases are becoming more and more common so buckle up, and let’s make your about page be the page it’s always dreamed of. Then your customers might just get all fuzzy inside and buy your best products.
It’s been recently said that 50% of new customers in 2022 base their purchase decisions on the businesses values. I didn’t quote the article this was in, because… I don’t believe it. There’s more Nike and Apple products than ever and everyone knows they use tortuous child labor from poor countries. It probably is likely that more people use their emotions and beliefs to buy than say 20 years ago but 50%????
With the emotional needs stats being questionable at best, let’s cover our bases and make a great about us page anyways.
- Name it your own, “about us” is the most common, or we like to call it “Who We Are” for example. Nothing against the about us title, it was just a little boring for us here at WHP. We’ve also seen.. “Our Story” and “Our Journey” which sound really nice. There’s no stats on what’s a better about us page name, so just pick the one you like.
- Make sure your about us page is in your top menu. Not having it there is a red flag and will have some customers leave on that instant. We assume these are the same customers that leave if they find a typo. No matter, If it looks like you’re hiding who you are, it can leave a bad taste with most modern consumers. Transparency is key.
- Add images. A text only about us page is so boring your customer might fall asleep and forgot why they were on your website. The easiest way to spruce up your about us page is with images and videos. Videos can include an introduction, history, products, or how to do something. Images should include employees, certifications, badges, and any other images that show you’re a fun company with values.
- About us pages shouldn’t be a SEO tool. Your home page will be much stronger for SEO and use the same keywords. You might want to add schema markup on your page, in case people ask questions about your company in Google and want an instant answer there.
- Add a call to action. Your about us page gets a lot of action, so don’t be afraid to tell people where to buy stuff on it. In fact, if they like the page, they’ll be primed up to buy your products.
- And most important; Make a good story. We suggest hiring a freelancer to make a story about your company. Even if you don’t use it, you’ll get some great creative flows you can use in your own story. Add hooks, add drama, and most of all… have fun with it.